Go to the Ocean and Heal
8 Health Benefits of Sea Water
Nothing is more relaxing than time spent by the ocean. The lulling sound of the waves, the sea breeze, and the cool mist on your face create the perfect oasis in an otherwise stressful world. But did you know that sea water also provides many health and wellness benefits? Aside from the obvious sense of wellbeing, sea water helps improve your circulation, helps heal skin disorders, boosts the immune system, and provides a great opportunity for either relaxation or exercise- whichever you choose.
Dating back to Hippocrates in the 4th century B.C., people have flocked to the sea for healing. There was even a name for this: thalassotherapy, or water therapy. Time spent soaking in salt baths was a common recommendation for many ailments. Even today, most spas offer sea water treatments of some kind, and products such as sea salt, seaweed, and beauty products with sea water have found their way into many of our homes. Why? Let’s talk about some of the reasons.
- The healthy negative ions in sea water help our bodies absorb oxygen, which combines with the boost of serotonin our brains release when we are relaxed. This leads to an improved mood, better oxygen flow in our bodies, and yes, even to a good night’s sleep.
- The magnesium in sea water helps relax muscles and loosen stiff joints. Magnesium is also a natural antidepressant and leads to increased feelings of health and vitality.
- Our bodies are made up of roughly two thirds water, and the composition of our blood plasma is similar to that of sea water. This means we can easily absorb the vitamins, minerals, and trace elements that are found in sea water, which promotes healing.
- Sea water increases blood circulation by restoring essential minerals that are often lost as a result of stress, poor diet, and a variety of environmental factors such as pollution and exposure to toxins. This helps your heart in multiple ways.
- In addition to mineral salts, sea water also has important vitamins and elements, as well as amino acids and living microorganisms which help improve the immune system. It also produces natural antibiotic, antibacterial, and antimicrobial substances.
- Your skin benefits from sea water because it opens up pores to allow increased absorptions of minerals. It also helps cleanse the body of toxins, and can help improve a variety of skin conditions. The magnesium in the water is a natural moisturizer and helps decrease skin inflammation.
- The salt and magnesium in ocean water can help cleanse and heal wounds, and can help scar tissue heal.
- Being in water of any kind is good exercise. When you swim you utilize most major muscle groups, and because of the water’s buoyancy there is much less impact on bones, muscles, and joints than exercising on land.
If being in the water is not your favorite thing, you can get many of the same benefits just from being near it. The gas molecules released from the water and in ocean mist can enter your body via the respiratory system, and produce similar health benefits.
For our local members, there are lots of great beaches in the area where you can reap the healing powers of ocean water. There are five state park beaches along the New Hampshire coastline: Wallis Sands, Jenness, NH State Beach, North Beach, North Hampton Beach and Hampton Beach. If you travel a bit further into Massachusetts, you can also enjoy Salisbury Beach, Newburyport, and Plum Island.
Next time we will start thinking more about back to school time, and talk about options to start your day off right with a healthy breakfast.
Comments are closed.