Let’s Plan for the New Year!
With 2022 behind us, let’s continue to think about your goals for this new year. As you think back on your progress this past year, try to determine if your goals were realistic. Did you make the changes you were hoping to make? Hopefully, you achieved at least some of your goals and are feeling proud of yourself for your accomplishments. If you didn’t make quite the amount of progress you had hoped for, that’s okay. You can work on setting new, reasonable goals for the New Year ahead.
As you begin to plan for the upcoming year, here are SIX (6) things to keep in mind:
- Set yourself up for success. Instead of making one sweeping goal that seems overwhelming right from the start, break your goals down into smaller, more manageable pieces. For example, instead of having a goal to lose 20 pounds, a more realistic goal might be to work toward losing five pounds over the course of the next three months. Monitor your progress over the three months and add another short-term goal at the end.
- Share your goals with trusted friends and relatives and ask for their support. Perhaps, you can get a walking buddy or helpful suggestions. Let folks know your intentions so they can cheer you on. Verbalizing your goals to others can help keep you focused on your commitment.
- Determine what inspires you and make that part of your change. If you dream of basking in the warm sun in an awesome new bathing suit, create some mental pictures of that so you can reflect on them when you are feeling low. If you have actual pictures that represent the change you most want to make, post them around the house where you will see them often.
- Create positive self-affirmations about your goals, and recite them a few times each day. Telling yourself you are strong and have the power to create the changes you most want will boost your confidence and increase motivation.
- Mark on your calendar specific dates to check in with yourself on your progress. Frequent monitoring will help you understand your approach and allow you to make any changes along the way. It’s also a good way to recognize and celebrate your success. Check in more frequently at the beginning, to make sure you are on the right track.
- Remember that you are human and there will be days when you do a great job, and some days when you may slide back. Forgive yourself for these times, and know that as long as you are moving forward more than you are standing still or sliding back, progress is still being made..
It has been a wonderful year at Simple Health, and we have enjoyed being part of your health and wellness journey. You have covered a lot of ground with us and learned lots of new things along the way. Let us know how we can best support you.
We will continue to bring you interesting programs, articles, recipes, and suggestions in the year ahead – so make sure you have signed up for our email newsletter so that you are always in the know!
Thank you so much for being part of our Simple Health audience. It is so great to have you as a member. Continue to plan and rock 2023. YOU’VE GOT THIS!!