7 Health Benefits of Biking
Have you been tired of your regular workout routine? Looking for a way to add some variety and work all your major muscle groups? Try biking! Biking is a great way to enjoy the outdoors either on your own or with friends and family, and August is the perfect time to get out and go. There are lots of trail options in the seacoast area that include easy riding, scenic views, and more challenging routes. Check out http://www.seacoastbikes.org/ for suggestions. You can also get information on the New Hampshire section of the East Coast Greenway at http://www.greenway.org/explore-by-state/nh . If you’d like to try biking along old railroad lines, check out http://www.traillink.com/, where you can search for trails by city and state.
In addition to the perks of working out in the great outdoors, biking has numerous health benefits. Some of our favorites include:
- Biking promotes cardiovascular fitness, and helps lower blood pressure and LDL (bad) cholesterol.
- It tones your quads, calves, and glutes, and can improve your core strength as well.
- Biking increases your stamina and energy level, which allows you to be more productive during the day and sleep better at night.
- The work out you get when biking triggers the release of dopamine, which eases stress and anxiety, and allows for greater relaxation.
- Depending on your speed and the difficulty of your route you can burn anywhere from 300-450 calories per hour.
- Biking puts less stress on joints than running or other high impact sports.
- Biking is something you can do on your own or with others, and is a great chance to soak up some Vitamin D while you exercise.
While it is true that you never forget how to ride a bike, make sure you start out slowly if you haven’t biked for a while. Once you feel confident on your bike, you can gradually increase your speed and distance, and you can try different inclines. Be safe on the road. Make sure to wear a helmet, and consider wearing kneepads and elbow pads for added protection. Follow rules of the road and enjoy yourself. Biking is not just for kids!
Do you have a difficult time falling asleep or staying asleep? Do you frequently awake during the night? Getting the right amount of sleep and sound sleep is so important to your health. We will be discussing sleep hygiene in our next blog to help you with ideas to get to sleep and stay asleep. When you sleep you are able to reduce stress, increase health and replenish your system naturally so your health will flourish. Such an easy way for healing once you get the sleeping pattern down. Keep up the great work on yourself to continue to heal.