Stay Cool with Refreshing Food
Ideas for Light Dinner Meals (and Dessert!)
August is in full swing, and with it comes the heat that can melt even the best of us over the course of a long day. While summer is such a wonderful season for beaches, trips, and other outdoor adventures, most people find themselves feeling drained after a day in the sun. In addition to heat fatigue, lots of folks find they are not as hungry as usual, and that the thought of eating hot food is not appealing. If this sounds like you, don’t worry, we’ve got you covered with some ideas for cooling, light dinners, and a dessert, compliments of Elana’s Pantry.
Thai Chicken Wraps
- 12 Bibb or Romaine lettuce leaves
- 4 Napa cabbage, leaves thinly chopped
- 1 pound chicken breast, grilled and then diced into ½-inch cubes
- 1 cup raw broccoli, finely chopped
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- ¼ cup scallions, thinly sliced
- Peanut sauce
- Spread out the lettuce leaves
- Place a tablespoon of Napa cabbage in each leaf
- Add 1 tablespoon each of chicken, broccoli, carrots, and scallions to each leaf
- Drizzle with peanut sauce and serve
Summer Squash Salad
- 2 small yellow summer squash, thinly sliced
- 1 small zucchini, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons basil, sliced into strips
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespeeon lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon Celtic sea salt
- ¼ cup Marcona almonds, chopped
- In medium bowl, combine squash, zucchini, basil, olive oil, lemon juice, and salt.
- Toss all ingredients together.
- Allow to marinate for 20 minutes to 1 hour.
- Sprinkle with almonds, and serve.
Lemon Pudding Parfait
- 12 egg yolks
- ¼ cup agave nectar
- Pinch Celtic sea salt
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ½ cup heavy cream
- Place egg yolks, agave, and salt in a medium sauce pan.
- While heating over very low flame, whip with a hand blender for 6-8 minutes, than whip in lemon juice.
- Chill for half an hour.
- If pudding separates, whip with hand mixer for 1-2 minutes, until fluffy again.
- Whip cream in a separate bowl.
- Serve in small glasses, alternating layers of pudding and whipped cream.
- Garnish with berries.
These are just a few options for light, easy dinner options (and dessert!) that will keep you feeling cool as a cucumber. If you have a refreshing recipe you’d like to share with others, feel free to post it on our Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/simplehealthinc. Please let us know if there is anything we can do to assist you with your health and wellness goals. Keep up the awesome work!
Next time we will talk about getting together with family and friends, and offer suggestions on ways to navigate gatherings and still keep up healthy habits.
Comments are closed.