10 Ways to Get a Great Outdoor Workout
Spring is in the air and it’s time to put away the winter boots and head outside. After a few long months of cold, wind, and snow, imagine how good it will feel to get outdoors and play! Spring is a great time to mix up your fitness routine, and there are lots of ways to do this and enjoy the warmer weather at the same time. From a simple walk around the neighborhood to an all-out organized adult bootcamp, it’s easy to get creative with your workouts.
Here are 10 of our favorite ways to exercise outside:
- Say farewell to the indoor treadmill and head outside. Walking, speed walking, and jogging will allow you to reap the benefits of exercise and enjoy the visual variety of nature and fresh air as well.
- Take a long walk on the beach. Not only is it beautiful and calming, but walking in sand gives you more of a workout.
- Visit local athletic fields to take advantage of their basketball and tennis courts, soccer fields, and outdoor tracks.
- Don’t forget your local playground! Monkey bars are great for pull-ups, swings are good for leg pumps, and if you are lucky enough to have a little one, it is a great family outing.
- Do traditional exercises like sit ups, push-ups, stretches, and jumping jacks at a park or even in your own backyard.
- Enjoy the woods and take a hike on a new or favorite local trail.
- Clean up the lawn once the ground is dry! Raking, shoveling, gardening, and mulching will spruce up both your body and home. If you heat with wood, stacking new piles for next year will burn lots of calories.
- Take an outdoor yoga or tai chi class, or join a neighborhood sports team.
- If you are in the city, there are lots of opportunities for stair climbing, and you can walk instead of taking public transportation.
- While it’s still a bit early for water sports, don’t forget about the great upper body workout you can get kayaking and canoeing.
You have made it through the winter and deserve the rewards of sunshine and fresh air.
Nothing clears the mind like a good workout in the great outdoors. You don’t need any special equipment for the activities we listed and you can enjoy all of them by yourself or with a friend. Don’t forget to drink lots of water to replenish your body, and make sure you get a good night’s sleep so you feel your best. Keep up the awesome work!
Next time we will celebrate St. Patrick’s Day and offer a recipe for a healthy green smoothie! We all need more greens in our life.