As Maya Angelou said, “I have found that among its other benefits, giving liberates the soul of the giver.”
Giving truly replenishes your soul, whether you’re giving back to the global community or taking time for a loved one.
But do you realize – especially during a holiday season that can feel overwhelming – that it’s essential to give to yourself to effectively give to others?
My Own Path for Giving
In my own personal journey, I’ve found that to have a beautiful and grounded day I have to carve time out for myself.
When I didn’t take time for myself, I’d often feel overwhelmed, unhappy and depressed.
Yet by shifting my priorities – and making self-care number one – I virtually pivoted my life around!
Now I begin each day clear-eyed, with a sense of purpose and joy in my heart. And I am able to give of my best self to others!
How did I make that pivot?
It took a lot of listening to my body, working with my healthcare team and trial and error.
As part of my Giving December, I’d like to share a few tips that have worked to give me the life I knew I deserved. And that you deserve too!
Shift Your Life’s Perspective:
- Write down your daily intentions to set yourself up for success.
- Carve out time every day practicing positive affirmations, meditation and/or taking time to breathe to calm your mind and nervous system.
- Practice daily gratitude. Be thankful for the people or aspects of your life that bring you happiness.
- Make movement or exercise a part of every day. This doesn’t have to be any kind of formal exercise. Take the stairs, dance around the house while making dinner, hike with a friend or family member, do whatever works for you.
- Cultivate your relationships with others by reaching out daily to someone who makes you happy. If that’s not possible in person, reach out virtually through What’s App, Zoom, FaceTime, Skype. Life is built around community, connection and collaboration.
Remember, whether you shift your perspective or not, the day still will fly by. Why not get inspired to be your best?
It’ll set you up to be your best, and most giving, self.